Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Wednesday 27 November 2019

Do now: silent reading

Learning objective: to create powerful sentences.
Success criteria:
1. I can describe the benefits of varied sentence types (short, long, subordinate clauses, lists within sentences).
2. I can identify the effects of different vocabulary choices.
3. I can apply my new knowledge to making my own formal writing more powerful.

Short sentences are most useful for making impact.  e.g. He died.  e.g. Then I dropped the whole thing.

Using subordinate clauses within a sentence allows us to create a more complex idea.  e.g. Before I could even get in the door, the screams from the other side led me to be very nervous indeed.

Using lists within a sentence can increase the impact of the idea you are developing.  e.g. As I made my way up the path to the front door, I saw Aunty Mary, Uncle John, six snotty-nosed cousins from Hokitika, my older brother's very pregnant girlfriend, my older brother, Grandma and Dad all staring at the present that I was trying to hold still in my arms, without much success.

Vocabulary
Can you use different words to increase the power of the idea you are developing?
Can you use a rhetorical question, or a simile?
How will you link information through alliteration to focus the reader on a particular detail?

Next activity is via Socrative.  Log in as a student here.  Room name = MSQUICK

You will each be given a party scenario.  You are going to describe the party using:
  • at least five sentences
  • a short sentence
  • a sentence with listing within it 
  • a sentence with one or more subordinate clause
  • alliteration
  • detail about a person or place that helps us imagine a lot more about the person/place.
  • adventurous vocabulary



No comments:

Post a Comment